Salt Redaction is a socially engaged art project by Billi London-Gray and Daniel Bernard Gray. It embodies the volitional editing of personal memories by participants.
1. We ask volunteers to think of a name associated with a strong memory that they want to keep or forget forever. They are not asked to share the memory.
2. They then write the name on a square of paper. (The paper, donated by Peace Paper Project, is made from juvenile detention uniforms.)
3. We trace the name in permanent ink.
4. We ask the participant if they want to remember or forget the associated memory, then redact the name accordingly:
- clear medium + salt = remember
- white paint + salt = forget
5. After the square dries, we display it with the other squares.
© Billi London-Gray